Awareness On Halal Underscored
(PKPH, Philipina)-Shariah concepts of halal explaining the root definition of the Arabic word Halal. Halal is anything that is permissible or lawful to the islamic Faith, that is not only applicable to all Muslims mankind since halal approved food and lifestyles are healthy and pure.
Halal Food means food that is permitted under the islamic Law. This Law is based on Qur’an, hadith, ijma(consensus) and Qiyas (deduction by analogy). The Qiyas approved by the relevant Islamic Authority also fulfill the following conditions:
a. Does not contain any component or product of animals that is not halal.
b. Does not contain any ingridient that considered (najis) filthy.
c. During its preparation, processing or manufacturing , the food or equipments used do not contaminate the product with things which are condisered najis.
Islam is a Way of Life
The Muslims believe that Islam is a way of life which providesa complete code of conduct for man througout his life. As Islam is a system to know the aim why mankind was created. The fulfillment and expression of shariah is to be applied by Muslims.
Halal source of living
Islam enjoins the muslims to live and earn their liveihood in this world in halal ways. And he must be spiritually prepared for the hereafter. Thus he sould avoid from enduring (unlawfull) haram.
Halal certification is a certificate of compliance of the relegious requirement observed by all Muslims wordwide. It is now accepted scientifically that halal certificate is a guarantee of genuiness, best quality, wholesomeness, cleaniness, and best fit for human consumtion of the food product. To be sure of the compliance of these requirements. Product must be certified, guaranteed and endorse by a credible Halal authority.
Islamic Legal Maxims
The Islamic legal maxims related to the topic are the following:
1. Allah Almigthy alone being the Lawmaker has the sole right to prescribe the rules and regulations pertaining to the act or conduct of man wether Halal or Haram.
2. Permissibility of the original principle of affair if there is no divine rule prescribing otherwise. ( A man presumed innocent until proven guilty).
3. Prohibiting what is permissible or permitting what is prohibited by Lawgiver (Almighty Allah) is considered a great sin.
4. Anything leading to haram is considered Haram and the product of Haram is Haram too.
5. Circumvention of the law on Haram to appear as Halal is Haram
6. Good intention in committing violation does not vindicate a Haram (the end does not justify the end).
7. Necessity begets facility.
8. A portion of Haram is Haram
9. Anything that is Halal as ordained under the Islamic Law is Halal
Halal Food and Non-Food Development and Production should consider the following:
1. The object or raw materials should be Halal by itself.
2. The environment of the development and production of Halal should also be Halal or devoid of harmful materials such as poisonous, detrimental to health, non-halal animal feed and forbidden stock such as artificial breeding or insemination of pig with a goat or a sheep etc. To produce third kind of animal or else they are not considered as Haram.
3. The ingridients or components of drinks, food and other products should be Halal too.
In conclucion, I gladly end my article by invoking the divine guidance which Allah SWT stated in the Holy Qur’an,”Whoever works righteousness man or women, and has faith, verily to him will We give a life that is good and pure, and We will bestow on such their rewards according to the best of their actions” [QS: An-Nahl (16): 97].
Sheykh Watu Datu Ibrahim
Deputy Head Fatwa Comitte
Islamic Da’wah Council of the Philippines, Inc.